Low Fat Fudge Brownies

I love finding recipes that taste great and are low fat.  I found this recipe at Obsessed with Baking.  I made a few minor changes to the recipe.  I used semi-sweet chocolate instead of bittersweet, reduced the vanilla to 1 tsp (since that is all I had) and I used one egg white.  This is originally a Cook's Illustrated recipe.  So far I have had good results with Cook's Illustrated recipes so I was eager to give this recipe a try.  At first I didn't like this brownie very much.  I don't like coffee and I could taste the coffee.  I took these over to my parents.  My mom really liked them.  The next day I couldn't believe how good these brownies tasted.  I find some chocolate baked goods really do taste better the next day.  I was so sad I only had 4 brownies left.


Low-Fat Fudge Brownies
Adapted from Obsessed with Baking
Printer Friendly

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I used 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips)
2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
2 tbsp low fat sour cream
1 tbsp chocolate syrup (I used Nesquik 1/3 less sugar)
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 egg
1 egg white
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp instant coffee (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350F and put the rack in the middle.

Line a square baking pan with foil.  The foil should come up the sides so that you will be able to pull the brownies out when they are done.  Spray the foil with oil and brush all over.

Whisk dry ingredients together.

In a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate together until smooth.

Whisk in sour cream, egg, egg white, chocolate syrup and sugar until combined.  Remove from the double boiler.  Fold in the dry ingredients.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with some crumbs sticking to the toothpick.

Remove from pan by lifting the foil and let cool completely on a wire rack.

11 comments:

  1. mmm will def try this, as ima brownie addict! nausheen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how they turn out....they were even better the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! These look really good....I wonder how they would be if I used a flavoured coffee instead....will have to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where have you been???? I was just thinking my #1 visitor has been MIA....let me know how they turn out and make sure you save some for the next day b/c they taste even better the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Just saw this on May's YBR! Any day I an justify eating a brownie is a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brownies are my weakness, and these ones I must have. I stay away from baking a batch too often because of the calories but this recipe will help alot. Thanks for participating in this month's YBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love low fat recipe that don't look and taste low fat if you know what I mean!!! hehehe Great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw your recipe and YBR and couldn't believe it was low fat! Amazing. I love coffee flavored anything so will probably love them right out of the oven :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baked these as a last day of school treat. I cannot believe they are low fat. Really fudgy and wonderful. Did have to bake them longer - after 31 min I got worried and pulled them out and the center ones were still gooey (still love them)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thx for the comment Tadka Pasta! I'm so glad they turned out well. Perhaps my oven is hot which is why our times differed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who needs a tunnel of love when you have a tunnel of fudge! This looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}