Apple Cake

My mom gave me a bunch of apples and I had to think of something to do with all of them.  I came across this recipe at Smitten Kitchen.  It looked delicious and very simple to make.  There was no butter...HURRAY!!!  When the timer went off my baby was napping and so I quickly went to turn the timer off but unfortunately I turned the oven off at the same time.  The cake wasn't done and I didn't realize what I had done until 15 minutes later.  So my cake ended up being overbaked at the bottom.  But I know that if I had not done that it would have been perfect because this is a Smitten Kitchen recipe.  I didn't have any orange juice but I had Mandarins so I juiced that until I got 1/4 cup. 



Now that I've been doing this blog I realize how bad I am at taking pictures...this cake looked a lot better than the picture came out.  I thought the problem was my camera.  But the other day I was looking of some pictures of the boys and some of them were really good and I realized my problem is lighting.  The lighting in my kitchen is bad and there is no natural light.  The pictures I took of the boys that turned out so good were in the living room where there is tons of natural light.  Anyways I'll keep trying to improve my camera skills and hope my pictures will start to look half as good as all those other amazing food blogs out there.


Apple Cake

Note:  October 4, 2012 Made this cake again.  Baked for 1 1/2 hours but burned.  The top wasn't done so I kept it in for longer which burnt the bottom :(

I did not change anything from the original recipe so please head over to Smitten Kitchen for the recipe!


Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

  1. Asi, I just made this!!!! It's in the oven baking so I'll have to wait to see how it turned out. I was surprised how simple it was to make. I think it was fate having it at your house yesterday and Yahya getting a whole bushel of apples from his friend!!!! I only hope it turns out as good as yours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out and if you have a problem with the bottom burning.

      Delete
  2. I checked it after an hour and it was still wet. So I put added another 30 min and it did get burned. I don't have a tube pan so I made it in a regular rectangle baking dish. I think to prevent burning a total of 1h & 15-20 min. is best. It smells divine...as to the taste...have to wait for the guests!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!!!! I checked mine after 1hr 15 minutes and it was still wet at the top. I think I will check the comments on the original recipe and see if others had a similar problem. Yours should have cooked quicker since it was in a bigger dish....

      Delete
    2. I looked at the comment section on Smitten Kitchen and it seems like others had the same problem we did. I think next time I will reduce the temperature.

      Delete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}